This website, its forms, and its data is managed by Alley NYC LLC in partnership with Verizon.
By using this site you agree to the following:
These terms and conditions apply but are not limited to Forward for Good Accelerator, Climate Justice Cohort. These terms and conditions apply to all cohorts but specific dates established in this section apply to the Climate Justice Cohort unless otherwise stated.
Entrants hereby confirm acceptanceof these Official Rules and agree to be bound by them when entering thisContest.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. General Overview of the Contest. Verizon Forward for GoodAccelerator: Climate Justice Cohort (the “Accelerator" or “Cohort”) is anationwide search for the biggest and brightest solutions that helpcommunities build resilience and thrive as the climate changes, especially populationswith systemic challenges related to race, gender, disability, income,immigration status, or age. TheAccelerator intends to aid in scaling solutions that utilize empoweringtechnologies to address society's biggest challenges. These Official Rules ofthe Accelerator (the "Official Rules") describe the manner inwhich the selection of teams for participation in the Accelerator will beconducted. As described in detail below, there are two separate vetting roundswhere teams and individuals from Verizon and Alley NYC LLC will assess eachproject based on a set criteria and rubric. The application process willbe administered by Alley.
2. Eligibility. The Accelerator is only open tocorporate and non-profit entities organized under the laws of the United Stateswith 200 employees or fewer. Employees, officers and directors of VerizonInnovation LLC (“Verizon” or "Sponsor") and its parent companies,subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, agents, advertising and promotionagencies, and vendors (who are related to the administration of theAccelerator) are not eligible to enter. Additionally, prior winners of aVerizon Innovation Challenge/Accelerator or cohort are not eligible toenter.
Entrants (any entity that submits aCohort application is referred to individually as and “Entrant”, and allentities are collectively the “Entrants”) must comply with the applicable laws,decrees, regulations and guidelines of their jurisdiction, and Sponsor willhave no obligation to change or modify any of the Official Rules or take anyfurther action as a result of such laws, decrees, regulations or guidelines oftheir jurisdiction, except as is otherwise provided in the Official Rules.
We will look for Entrants to show how their ideas useleading edge technology for positive change in connection with –the specificimpact area of the cohort for which they are applying. For the current cohort,the focus is ClimateJustice.
1. How to Enter: Round 1 – Initial Cohort Submission Round. To apply for the Cohort, visit verizonforwardforgood.com(the "Cohort Website"), follow all instructionsto fill out an online submission form which includes a description of yourinitial submission and how it relates to the applicable ("CohortSubmission") via the form provided on the Cohort Website. Entrants must read and agree to the OfficialRules, and select the "Submit Entry" option. Entrants have the optionto provide a link to a video submission (not to exceed five minutes in length)to answer the submission questions in place of submitting the written form
1. Entrantscan submit their Cohort Submission from 6:00 A.M. United States EasternDaylight Time on March 25, 2021 through11:59 P.M. United States Eastern Daylight Time on April 30th, 2021. Allsubmissions in all Rounds must be in the English language. All submissionsrelating to this Contest regardless of the Round are described hereunder as“Cohort Submissions.”
2. Sponsor reserves the right tocancel or modify this Cohort in the event an insufficient number of eligible orsatisfactory entries are received, and Sponsor further reserves the right tocancel or modify this Cohort as a result of any applicable law, regulation,decree or guideline. If Sponsor decides to cancel or modify this Cohort inaccordance with these Official Rules, it will provide a notice of suchcancellation or modification on the Cohort Website at verizonforwardforgood.com
3. By entering, each Entrant warrantsand represents the following with respect to each Cohort Submission theysubmit: (a) Entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the Cohort Submissionand such Cohort Submission is not subject to any claim of ownership by anythird party; (b) the Cohort Submission is Entrant's own creation and is 100%original; (c) the Cohort Submission will not infringe on any intellectualproperty, proprietary, moral, or other rights of any third parties; (d) anythird parties appearing in the Cohort Submission have given Entrant appropriateconsent to be used as permitted herein and Entrant will, upon the request ofSponsor, provide verifiable evidence of all such necessary consents obtained;(e) the Entrant has all appropriate rights to use, and to grant Sponsor theright to use, any third party content or technology used to develop orcontained in the Cohort Submission; (f) the Cohort Submission and the Entrant'sparticipation do not violate the rights of any third party or any local, state,provincial, national or foreign law, including any right of publicity, right ofprivacy or any other proprietary right; (g) the Cohort Submission does notcontain the confidential information of any third party, and to the extent itcontains Entrant’s confidential information, such information immediatelybecomes non-confidential the moment Entrant submits the Cohort Submission; (h)the Cohort Submission is submitted by an employee of Entrant on Entrant'sbehalf who has the power to do so on behalf of the Entrant, and not on behalfof any third party.
4. All Entrants must provide andmaintain a valid email address for the duration of the Cohort. Sponsor isentitled to send any correspondence associated with this Cohort bye-mail. Entrants are responsible for making sure that they can be reachedby email. If an Entrant cannot be reached or fails to timely respond toan email, the Entrant may be disqualified or forfeit the remaining prize. EachEntrant may submit more than one (1) Cohort Submission. No automatedentry devices and/or programs permitted. Receipt of Cohort Submission will beacknowledged through the submission process. Sponsor is not responsible forlost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible,misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled Cohort Submissions, which will bedisqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human orelectronic which are beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control. Only fully completedCohort Submission forms or video submissions that address all questions areeligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt bySponsor.
2. Round 1Selection Process – Sponsor reserves the right, inits sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Cohort Submissions that forany reason it considers to be inappropriate, indecent, pornographic, obscene,violent, slanderous, libelous, defamatory, discriminatory, hateful, untruthfulor inaccurate, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex,obscenity, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate, slanderous or defamatorylanguage, for promoting bigotry, discrimination, hatred or harm against anyrace, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age, orfor being unlawful or violating any laws, decrees, or rules and regulations inthe United States or in the jurisdiction where it is created or submitted.
DuringRound 1, a panel of judges ("Judges"), selected by Sponsor in itssole discretion and the composition of which may vary in each Round, willevaluate and score the eligible Cohort Submissions based on the Cohort Criteria(as defined below). Cohort Submissions that have been scored and deemed to meetthe Cohort Criteria, as determined by the Judges, in their sole discretion,will advance to Round 2 of the Review Process. Sponsor and the Judges reservethe right to either disqualify any ineligible Cohort Submissions or to requestthat any Entrant re-submit a Cohort Submission to conform to these OfficialRules during Round 1, or within a time-frame communicated by Sponsor. Shouldany Entrant be asked to re-submit a Cohort Submission and fail to do so duringRound 1 or within the time-frame and/or manner communicated by Sponsor, suchEntrant may be disqualified in Sponsor's sole discretion.
Cohort Submissions will beevaluated and scored by Judges, using their sole discretion, based upon thefollowing Cohort Criteria:
1. Inspiring solution that leveragesnext generation technology
2. Nuanced understanding of scope,origins and significance of problem they are trying to solve and solution thatclearly addresses the unmet need
3. Solution addresses an unmet needrelated to climate change for target communities
4. Clear path to market potential,demonstrated approach to financial solvency, and options for large-scale use
5. Demonstration of commitment tosocial responsibility
Entrants whose Contest Submissionsare selected by the Judges, based on the above Cohort Criteria, to advance toRound 2 of the Review Process will be notified by email on or about May 12,2021 (such date subject to change, in Sponsor's sole discretion, withreasonable notice of modified dates to be given on verizonforwardforgood.com). The relevant Entrants must respond tosuch email notification within five (5) days or their Cohort Submission(s) maybe excluded from winning a prize or proceeding to the next Round ofReview.
3. Round 2- Interview, During Round 2 of the Review Process, Cohort Entrantsselected by the Judges from Round 1 will have the opportunity to be interviewedabout their Cohort Submissions. Verizonreserves the right to define subject matter experts as both Verizon employeesas well as outside experts in their respective field of the CohortSubmission. Entrants may also be requested to submit supplementalinformation.
1. Selection. From the Round 2 CohortSubmissions (the “Cohort Finalists”), the Judges will select the Winners, who will be invited to participatein the Accelerator Cohort. . Cohort Finalists will be notified on or about May24th, 2021. Final Judging Criteria: The Cohort Finalists will be evaluated andscored by the Judges, using their sole discretion, based upon the followingcriteria ("Final Judging Criteria"):
1. Alignmentwith Citizen Verizon corporate strategy
2. Abilityto have a positive impact in the area of Climate Justice
3. Success andrevenue assessment
Video Submission Requirements; Corrupted Submissions
IfEntrants are submitting videos forCohort Submissions, videos must not depict anyone under the age of 18 years oldunless the Entrant has secured the permission of the child’s parent or legalguardian, provided that, upon the request of Sponsor, Entrant will makeavailable verifiable evidence of all necessary permissions obtained.
a. Failure of any Cohort Submissionto comply with the above restrictions, as determined by Sponsor in its solediscretion, shall result in disqualification. Sponsor accepts no responsibilityfor a Cohort Submission if it is lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid,for causes which are beyond his reasonable control. All Cohort Submissions willbe deemed made by the Entrant at the time of entry. Once a Cohort Submission issubmitted, Entrant may not make any alterations.
4. Prizes. Winners will be selected to participate in the VerizonForward for Good Accelerator: Climate Justice Cohort, a 16-week program thatwill provide education, mentorship, networking, and exposure. Upon acceptance into the cohort, Winners willbe asked to sign a Participation Agreement. Upon signing the Participation Agreement, the following cash prizes willbe awarded in the form of electronic funds transfer (“EFT”) or a cheque (check)in United States currency:
Five (5) to eight (8) Entrantswill be selected for participation in the Accelerator and receive a prize of$50,000 upon acceptance.
Forthe purposes of these Official Rules, “Winner” means any entity selected toreceive a prize. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of comparableor greater value at its sole discretion. Prizes are non-transferable. Nosubstitution or cash redemptions if applicable.
PrizeWinners further agree that Sponsor shall have exclusive third-party commercialmarketing rights with respect to the Cohort Submission in the field oftelecommunications, including 5G, until one year from the end of the Cohort,and will not assist or permit any telecommunications service provider ortelecommunications equipment provider to create, distribute, display or performany marketing materials involving the Cohort Submission prior to one year fromthe end of the Cohort.
TAXES: AWARDS OF PRIZES TOPOTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TOSPONSOR ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY SPONSOR TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALLAPPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, PROVINCIAL, LOCAL OR OTHER TAX REPORTING LAWS ORREGULATIONS IN THE UNITED STATES. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES SPONSORIS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXESIMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. In order toreceive a prize, potential Winners must submit tax documentation requested bySponsor or otherwise required by applicable law, to Sponsor or a representativefor Sponsor or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law.The potential winners are responsible for ensuring they comply with allapplicable tax laws and regulations and filing requirements, and otherrequirements relating to the awarding and receipt of a prize or cash in acontest or promotion. If a potential Winner fails to provide such documentationor comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Sponsor may award theprize to the Entrant submitting the Final Proposal with the next highest score.
5. Notificationof Winners. Winners will be notified by emailor telephone on or about May 24, 2021 andwill be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility(or similar document) and/or Liability/Publicity Release within five (5) daysof prize notification. Additionally, Winners may be required to obtain releasesor appropriate licenses from any and all third parties appearing in, or inrelation to third party content used in or in connection with, any and allmaterials associated with their Cohort Submission. If any Winner cannot becontacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if anyprize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any Winner rejectshis/her prize, or in the event of noncompliance by the Winner with theseOfficial Rules or any other law, rule or regulation of the Winner’sjurisdiction, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the CohortFinalist with the next highest score. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation ofany nature shall be given.
6. IntellectualProperty Rights. As between Entrant and Sponsor,Entrant shall retain ownership in and to the Cohort Submission, including allintellectual property rights related thereto. By entering this Contest, Entrant hereby grants Sponsor, itsaffiliates, subsidiaries, parents, and agents, an irrevocable, worldwide,sub-licensable, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license underEntrant’s Cohort Submission and all intellectual property rights relatedthereto to use, copy, publish, modify, distribute, create derivativeworks of, execute, and publicly display Entrant's Cohort Submission (including all ideas, expressions, and othermaterials) in whole or in part, without prior review, payment, compensation, oradditional consent by Entrant, as part of the Contest, including but notlimited to the administration of the Contest, for the evaluation of the CohortSubmission, and in advertising and publicity related to the Cohort. In grantingthis license, Entrant understands and agrees that Sponsor is under noobligation to exercise any of its rights, licenses and privileges hereingranted. Entrants hereby agree to do such other things and execute suchother documents as may be reasonably requested in order to allow the Sponsor tomake such use of, and exercise such rights over, their Cohort Submission.
By making a Cohort Submission, Entrant acknowledges andagrees that Sponsor and its designees (i) are continually and independently ofthe Contest and Entrant’s Cohort Submission working on creating, developing,improving upon and expanding Sponsor's product and service offerings, includingsupporting technology, networks, software, and systems, and may already bedeveloping or may develop in the future products, services, technology,networks, software, and systems that are similar or identical to the CohortSubmission, and (ii) may receive Cohort Submissions from other Entrants thatmay be similar or identical to the Cohort Submission Entrants submit. By enteringthis Contest, Entrant hereby releases Sponsor for use of Entrant’s intellectualproperty rights related to the Cohort Submission, and hereby agrees not to sueSponsor, its employees, directors, affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, agents,successors and assigns for any actual or alleged infringement ormisappropriation by any Sponsor product, service, technology, network,software, or system of Entrant’s intellectual property rights related to theCohort Submission. Furthermore, Entrant hereby waives any and all claimsEntrant may have had, may currently have, and/or may have in the future relatedto Sponsor's review, acceptance, and/or use of the Cohort Submission, andagrees that Sponsor is under no obligation to review, use, or in any wayprocess Entrant’s Cohort Submission, regardless of the status indicated on theCohort Website.
Entrant acknowledges and agrees that its Cohort Submissionwill not be held as confidential information and to the extent that the CohortSubmission contains Entrant’s confidential information, such informationimmediately becomes non-confidential upon Entrant’s submission of a CohortSubmission. Entrant grants Sponsor the right to review Entrant's Cohort Submission and to have the Judges (asdefined herein) review Entrant's Cohort Submission. Entrant also grants toSponsor the right to post Entrant's Cohort Submission, including the shortdescription of the submission, and any photo or video that entrant submits onthe Cohort Website and Entrant agrees that visitors to the Cohort Website havethe right to access the information in accordance with the Terms of Service ofthe Cohort Website.
Entrant agrees that entering theContest may impact Entrant's legal rights, including, but not limited to,Entrant's ability to obtain patent rights, copyright registration, trade secretprotection, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights with respectto the information disclosed in the Cohort Submission. Entrant must seek itsown legal counsel prior to entering the Contest or submitting a CohortSubmission, and agrees that Sponsor has not induced Entrant to enter theContest, and is not responsible or liable to Entrant for any loss of rightsuffered by Entrant for having entered the Contest.
Entrant agrees that nothing inthese Official Rules grants Entrant a right or license to use any name,trademarks or service marks owned by Sponsor or any of its affiliates,including “Verizon” and “Verizon Wireless.” Entrant grants to Sponsor the rightto include Entrant's company name as an Entrant on the Cohort Website and inmaterials related to Sponsor's promotion of the Cohort. Other than these uses,Entrant does not grant Sponsor any rights to Entrant's trademarks.
Likewise, nothing in this Contest requires Entrant tonegotiate or do business with Sponsor. Entrant is free to discuss Entrant'sCohort Submission and the ideas or technologies it contains with other parties,and Entrant is free to contract with any third parties as long as Entrant has notyet signed an agreement with Sponsor regarding Entrant's Cohort Submission. Forthe purpose of clarity, Entrant acknowledges that the intent of the Contest isto encourage people to suggest their ideas and innovations to Sponsor. Butparticipating in this Contest does not create an obligation on either Entrant'spart or Sponsor's part to enter into any further business relationship or tosign any commercial agreement, unless Entrant is declared a winner and acceptsthe applicable prize.
7. Conditions. Sponsor shall not be liable or responsible in the eventCohort Submissions are not used (whether in whole or in part) for any reason.Any and all federal, state, provincial and local taxes are the soleresponsibility of the Winners. Entrant acknowledges and agrees thatparticipation in this Contest and Sponsor’s activities in and relating to thisContest are not and do not create any confidential, fiduciary, employment,agency or other special relationship between Entrant and Sponsor. For theavoidance of doubt, Entrant further affirmatively consents to Sponsor’s right,in its sole discretion, to use, without compensation, Entrant’s and Entrant’steam member’s name, likeness, biography and other information about Entrant andEntrant’s team members in connection with any use of the Cohort SubmissionEntrant submits. Participation in the Cohort and acceptance of a prizeconstitutes each Winner's permission for Sponsor to use Entrant’s and eachEntrant’s team member’s name, address (city and state/province/territory),likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information,Contest Submission and/or any statements made by each Winner regarding theContest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice oradditional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating,Entrant and each Entrant team member agrees unless prohibited by mandatory lawto release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor, and its employees, officersand directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, costor expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personalinjury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travelto, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuseof prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claimsbased on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyrightinfringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-relatedcause of action.
8. AdditionalTerms. By entering the Contest, Entrantfully and unconditionally agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and thedecisions of the Judges, which will be final and binding in all mattersrelating to the Cohort. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth inSection 3 and Section 4 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed, roboticor similar means of entry are permitted. To the fullest extent permitted bylaw, Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agenciesare not responsible for any of the following, provided that it is beyond theirreasonable control, namely technical, hardware, software, telephone or othercommunications malfunctions, typographical or other errors in printing,offering, or description of any prize or in any other materials produced inconnection with the Contest, failures of any kind, lost or unavailable networkconnections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized humanintervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entryinformation (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled ordelayed computer transmissions which may limit one's ability to enter theContest, including any injury or damage to Entrant's or any other person's computerrelating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading anymaterials in this Contest. If for any reason, including infection by computervirus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyondSponsor's control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness orproper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its solediscretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Cohort. In addition, if for any reason that isbeyond Sponsor’s reasonable control, in it its sole discretion, Sponsordetermines that the Cohort should not or cannot run as planned, Sponsor maycancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Cohort. If Sponsordecides to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Cohort in accordance withthese Official Rules, it will provide a notice of such cancellation,termination, modification or suspension on verizonforwardforgood.com . Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrantit finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contestor Cohort Website. Sponsor may prohibit an Entrant from participating in theContest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that saidEntrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest bycheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including theuse of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threatenor harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives. The invalidity orunenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect thevalidity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that anyprovision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal,Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Cohort or anyprovision of these Official Rules, or shall have the right to have thatdetermination not affect the remainder of these Official Rules, which shall beconstrued in accordance with their terms as if they did not contain the invalidor illegal provision. All decisions of Sponsor related to the Cohort are finaland binding.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGEANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE AVIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE,SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLESTEXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9. NoObligation. Entrant acknowledges thatmultiple participants may submit Cohort Submissions that contain concepts ortechnologies similar to his or her Cohort Submission and that Sponsor, itsrespective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners,representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directorsmay already be pursuing technologies that are related or similar to those thatEntrant disclose in its Contest Submission. Entrant acknowledges and agreesthat Sponsor's action with respect to another Cohort Submission, even ifsimilar to Entrant’s Cohort Submission, shall not create in Sponsor anyliability to Entrant or others. Further, Sponsor is not and shall not berestricted in any way from pursuing, developing, or commercializing, in any waythat Sponsor sees fit, independent of Entrant and at Sponsor's sole discretion,any technology or innovation that is created independent of Entrant’s CohortSubmission. For the avoidance of doubt, Entrant acknowledges that Sponsor isnot obligated to take any action whatsoever with regard to Entrant’s CohortSubmission.
11. List ofWinners. For the names of the winners,please visit verizonforwardforgood.comshortly after the winners have been announced.
12. Sponsor. Verizon Innovation LLC, One Verizon Way, Basking Ridge,NJ 07920
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Contest starts at6:00 A.M. United States Eastern Daylight Time on March 25, 2021 and final timefor entry is 11:59 P.M. United States Eastern Daylight Time on April 30, 2021Void where prohibited and restricted by law. Total approx retail value of allprizes awarded: $50,000 USD. For official rules, go to verizonforwardforgood.com. Sponsor: Verizon Innovation LLC